Tuesday, 5 August 2008

An afternoon ride

After the Angelus bell sounded over Kaiserswerth, AGA came up with the brilliant suggestion of going out to lunch. We decided to ride our bikes over to Wittlaer which is the next village along from ours. So off we went.

Down the avenue . . .



Past the ruins of Barbarossa's Castle . . .



And along the lane to Wittlaer . . .



En route we went past the old custom's house



And arrived at Wittlaer to discover that the restaurant was closed on Tuesdays. . .



So we went next door to see the Church of St Remigius



But that was closed too!



However I did takes these photos through the grill



This Medieval Pieta was in the entry and I said a prayer here for the blogging community as well as lighting candles for my late father and grandmother.



So we said 'auf wiedersehn Wittlaer'



Road back along the Rhine



Past the Rhine entrance into Kaiserswerth . . .



. . . and the old ladies coming back form the ferry crossing



and had lunch in one of Kaiserswerth's restuarants instead!



(And very nice it was too I might add!)

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a beautiful place you live. Thank you for taking us all to lunch with you:) The photos are lovely...

Kirk said...

Thanks Adrienne,
I am going to take you to St Suidbertus with me today for the Feast of the Transfiguration so get your best hat out.

elderflower said...

I have been enjoying your blog so much, so just wanted to say hello. I used to leave near Kaiserswerth, and these lovely pictures have brought back many happy memories.

Kirk said...

Elderflower thanks so much for your comments.
I shall try and post more pictures for you!