Thursday, 8 January 2009

Beauty in Winter

While I was walking home from school this evening I was struck by the afternoon Sun which cast long pale pink and orange shadows across the snow.  Coming to the more rural part of my walk I was confronted with a vista of such beauty that I, and everyone else in the vicinity was struck by it.  The Sun sat low in the sky, all orange-gold while a mist was slowly rolling in, low, from the river.  It was intensely cold but the children continued to sled down the slopes of the fields which now lie under so much crisp white snow.
having already seen a Robin standing in archetypal pose, on the snow, I was already feeling in the mood to be swept away by Winter's beauty.  And all (including our ability to appreciate such beauty) a gift from God.
And then suddenly I remembered my camera was in my pocket and so took some photos to share with you although they  are a poor substitute for the real thing and never seem to get enough light in to them!








Oh Lord my God! I thank you for your wonders!

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

Kirk - those pictures are beautiful. You have a real talent!

Tom in Vegas said...

My gosh, what a beautiful vista!

Now, why am I not there?? LOL.

Kirk said...

Well I can't take all the credit - it's all thanks to God. He creates such beautiful things and I like taking pictures of them!

Melody K said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos and your thoughts. As you say, "Oh Lord my God! I thank you for your wonders!" It is so easy to get sucked into negativity and forget to thank God for what He has given us.

elderflower said...

What a lovely sight. Moments like these make such a difference to life.

belinda said...

Thank you so much for sharing your view of the world. I really enjoy your photos. In fact I LOVE photos, all kinds of photos ,and in all time periods.

Terry Nelson said...

Lovely photos.

deborah said...

O Lord, how lovely it is to be Your guest! Breeze full of scents; mountains reaching to the skies; waters like boundless mirrors, reflecting the suns golden rays and the scudding clouds. All nature murmurs mysteriously, breathing the depth of tenderness.

from the The Akathist Hymn:
"Glory to God for All Things"
by Fr. Gregory Petrov

Kirk said...

I'm glad that everyone liked the photos - it is a pleasurable thing to share images of God's wonder!
And Deborah, I love those beautiful words - thanks for sharing them.