I was riding my bike to school yesterday morning when something caught my eye - a dark yellow leaf lay on the grass.
Then, as I rode along the avenue another yellow leaf came drifting down. This tells me that Autumn really is on the way and so I got my camera and took a photo!
I don't know about you but I love Autumn.
I love the colours that the leaves change too. I like the gradual growing coldness in the air and the thought that the winter duvet will be making an appearance before too long. I really do love the wind when it swirls the fallen leaves around about.
The onset of Autumn makes you think of comfort food made from all the home grown fruits that are now ripening in the various orchards around about: Soon I shall make apple pies flavoured with lemon and served with hot custard. All sorts of pies and their kin come to mind: Raspberry and apple pie, blackberry and apple pie, gooseberry tart, hazelnut cake, bramble jam, raspberries tarts served with whipped cream . . . the list is endless!!!
Such lovely food to make and scent the apartment with!
Then there are walks in the park and bike riding in the countryside. Collecting conkers and watching the geese fly overhead as they travel south for the winter.
(Sometimes they stop to rest by the Rhine in huge flocks and people go down to look at them.)
Autumn also tells me that Christmas is not too far away and while I know it is not the most important of our Christian celebrations (Easter holds that place) it is my favourite because I love the Christ Child so much!!!
Well I think that is enough thinking about the joys of Autumn! We are still technically in Summer and as they tell us that we will be in the high 20s (Celsius) by the weekend I guess she has decided that she will stay around for a while yet. . .

2 comments:
I love all the seasons but spring and autumn are my favorite because they signal change.
I look forward to all the things you do. We have a wonderful down comforter and sleeping under that in the winter (we keep windows open) is like being in a cave.
And the geese. The Canadian Honkers stop over on their journey directly in front of our house in the field. In the evening or the morning you know when they are getting ready to fly because they start making more and more noise (like they are all shouting to each other), and then they fly directly over our house. Most times they are so low that you can hear the movement of their wings. That is an amazing sight and sound.
And apple pie is my favorite!! How do you stay so slim???
The geese we get are grey ones - I am not sure what they are called but they do honk a lot!
As for staying slim well I used to be able to eat like a veritable pig(!) and not put on any weight. Now I am afraid it is a different story as I am taking more and more after my eastern european ancestors . . . but I get round it by having anything I like but only in smaller portions.
Post a Comment