Thursday, 27 November 2008

It all started . . .

It all started on Sunday while I was in Stockholm.
Top temperature was -2 Celsius.
The snow storm struck while I was trying to find the city's only Catholic Church so that I could light a candle for my father.  
Disoriented by the snow in our faces plus the bitter cold we had to give up the search but then AGA saw a large red church and so we went in there.  It was a Lutheran church but that is fine with me as all churches are God's house albeit in various states of repair.  It looked as though they were having some sort of a prayer service with guitars and singing but as we walked in they were having a breather while someone spoke (in Swedish so I have no idea what they were saying but everyone was listening and occasionally nodding.)
It was very quiet when we walked in so I slipped across to the candle holder and lit my candle for my Dad.  Then we left and made our way to the airport.
It gets dark at 3:30 at this point of time and so as the bus made its way along the highway you could see nothing, the snow storm blocking out even the light from the street lights.
The plane was due to leave for Dusseldorf at 8:10 in the evening.  At 10 we still had not left but had changed  gates
At 11 we were still waiting
At 12 we were still waiting
At 12:30 we were on the plane but waiting to be de-iced
At 1 we had been de-iced twice and were on our way.
At 2 in the morning we finally struggled through the door of our apartment.

When I was in my 20s I could go out nightclubbing or with my friends, get home at 6 have 1 hours sleep and be ready for work.  True, I would be rubbish by the end of the day but I could still deal quite competently with my work.  
Now I am 45 and having only five hours sleep left me exhausted!
So I am only just getting back to normal on Thursday - four days later and I still have my module essay to complete!
Oh well that IS life I suppose...

1 comment:

Ttony said...

In September I flew to Washington on a Thursday, worked all day Friday, went to the airport on Friday evening and came back to the UK, arriving midday Saturday.

It took me three weeks to recover!