It is a perfect Sunday for sitting around doing very little. It is cold and raining on and off outside. My essay is finished bar one final proof-read tomorrow and so I cam do what I like. . .
I was having a look around the Internet when I discovered this book meme on Confessions of a Prodigal Daughter and as she did say that anyone could do it, and I love reading, I decided to take part.
What you have to do is take the book closest to you at this moment (not the one you like the most or the one you think is the best one to choose) and turn to page 56.
Then copy out the fifth sentence plus the next 2 to 5 sentences following. Then you pass it on to 5 others.
So here is my contribution:
Title: 'The Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame
The fifth sentence on page 56: "They found themselves standing on the very edge of the Wild Wood."
Subsequent sentences: "Rocks and brambles and tree roots behind them, confusedly heaped and tangled; in front a great space of quiet fields, hemmed by lines of hedges black on the snow, and, far ahead, a glint of the familiar old river, while the wintry sun hung red and low over the horizon. The Otter, as knowing all the paths, took charge of the party, and they trailed out on a bee-line for a distant stile. Pausing there a moment and looking back, they saw the whole mass of the Wild Wood, dense, menacing, compact, grimly set in vast white surroundings; simultaneously they turned and made swiftly for home, for firelight and the familiar things it played on, for the voice, sounding cheerily outside their window, of the river they knew and trusted in all its moods, that never made then afraid with any amazement."
It's as funny thing but this little book sits rather unobtrusively on the bookshelf, near to this chair, an you wouldn't even realise it was there, but my hand went to it automatically when I turned to get the book for this meme.
I won't choose anyone in particular to do this as I am not sure who, if anyone, will be reading my post! But if you are then why not give this gentle meme a go!

4 comments:
Wind in the Willows is one of my all time favorites.
"And in between the stations things flitted past, so isolated from their context that each seemed to promise some unearthly happiness if one could but have descended from the train at that very moment to seize it: a house backed with a group of haystacks and wide brown fields about it, two aged horses standing head to tail, a little orchard with washing hanging on the line, and a rabbit staring at the train, whose two eyes looked like the dots, and his ears the uprights, of a double exclamation mark. At quarter-past two she came to St Anne's, which was the real terminus of the branch, and the end of everything. The air struck her as cold and tonic when she left the station."
From 'That Hideous Strength' by C.S.Lewis (1945), HarperCollins paperback edition, 2005
My father was the first one to read Wind in the Willows to me when I was young...
Nice quote Elderflower. CS Lewis had a certain way with words didn't he.
You've been tagged!
Sorry, just noticed the above post. Something to look forward to, perhaps!
Post a Comment