My dear blogging friend Adrienne, writing in response to the election victory in America, has raised some important issues, which have been seconded and expanded upon by another blogger called Mark from Spokane.
I read this posting with great interest and found myself in full agreement with the sentiments expressed, but I also believe that this applies not just to America but to the whole world!
The election results in America have become the catalyst for Adrienne's post but I think that a shake up of the church militant would be required either way.
While I was riding to school I thought about this topic.
I tried to think what was the ultimate cause of the way we behave these days.
This 'me' attitude.
This 'right to chose' attitude.
Is it rampant materialism?
Is it egocentricity?
I think that it is more than that.
I think that it is a turning away from the principles of goodness.
All good things comes from God and so in turning away from goodness the World is, in effect, turning away from God; and that for me is a very distressing and somewhat 'dread-filling' realisation.
But...
(There is always a but, isn't there)
It is all fine and well for me to say what I think about the log in the world's eye when I have one in mine too.
They say that charity begins at home and I guess reform does too.
I can't expect to re-evangelise the Church by myself but we can certainly, with God's help, re-evangelise our own lives:
- We can practice the precepts of the Church.
- We can make the Theological and Cardinal Virtues a part of our every day life.
- We can pray earnestly that the gifts and the fruits of the Holy Spirit take root in our souls.
- We can undertake the spiritual and corporal works of mercy.
- and we can live the Beatitudes.
Unfortunately I don't mind admitting that I am so weak of will and so spiritually lazy that nothing will be accomplished within me personally without God's most gracious help and assistance. I am like a child who wishes to do something great, but this can only be achieved with the help of loving parents who take the time to make sure that all goes well so that the finished product is as it should be.
I was once told that the desire to want to reform oneself is a gift from Our Father just as the desire the pray is a gift from Him also. I therefore have something to thank God for already.
I can draw strength from this fact, from more constant prayer, and more importantly, from the Blessed Eucharist!
And every time I stumble (which I am sure will be constantly taking place) I can get up, ask forgiveness, and keep on going because I must!
It is going to be hard but then the pilgrim road is never an easy one is it. . .
'Onwards Christian Soldiers' might not be considered (by some) to be the most appropriate hymn to be singing at this point but the sentiments it contain (and the tune) are certainly running through my mind as I write this!

4 comments:
"I was once told that the desire to want to reform oneself is a gift from Our Father just as the desire the pray is a gift from Him also."
Ok - I like that very much. I am a worm and need much reforming.
We, meaning the people of the world, act like we do because we have it so easy. My pastor keeps saying we need to have something horrendous happen to shake us up. There is no doubt in my mind that is about to happen...
Completely off topic. You're from Melbourne???!!! One of my honorary nephews lives in Werribee.
Yes I am. Not originally as I was born and bred in England but we moved to Australia because of my.
Now we have a foot on both sides of the globe - 1 in England and 1 in Australia!
I have a good friend who lives near Werribee - a Sicilian.
As for me I own a house in the Yarra Valley - on the other side of Melbourne - where all the vineyards and dairy farms are.
Melbourne is a great place - I love it - but I also enjoy living in Germany too
You have an award to collect here.
This award is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing.
I hope that you will accept it.
In Domino,
Phil Andrews
Post a Comment