It is a rather sombre week here.
A work colleague and friend died suddenly, tragically, on Monday.
Our school is in mourning. Flowers sit on the desk where she worked.
Students cannot understand it and we adults are coming to terms with it slowly.
What her husband, son, parents and siblings are going through I can only imagine.
I miss her and I grieve for her greatly.
I find tears spring to my eyes as I pray this week. Even the prayers in my new missal seem lacking somewhat and I say, within the depth of my heart: Please have mercy on her O God.'

6 comments:
Will send more prayers.....
Hi Adrienne,
thanks for your prayers.
Today is Thursday and things are getting better here as our every day lives push themselves forward to take our attention but of course this is not the case for my friend's poor family. . .
so all prayers are most welcome
As I pray the Divine Office according to the Breviary of 1962, there are numerous beautiful prayers in the Office of the Dead. Some prayers specifically remember parents, priests, popes, and deceased benefactors. There is a special prayer said on the 3rd, 7th, and 30th day after burial. And there is a special prayer said on the anniversary of a person's death:
O God, Lord of all for all forgiveness, grant to the soul(s) of your servant N. (handmaid N. or servants and handmaids), the anniversary of whose burial we commemorate, an abode of refreshment, the blessedness of rest and the glory of your light. Per Dominum Nostrum…per omnia secula seculorum.
On the day of burial, this prayer is said:
Absolve, we beseech you, O Lord, the soul of your servant N., that being dead to this world, he (or she) may live to you; and whatever sins he (or she) has committed through human frailty, wipe away by the pardon of your merciful goodness. Through our Lord.
Thank you for sharing those lovely prayers Matthew. I appreciate it a lot.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks Ukok. It is getting better but it was a sad time. My friend's husband was in the office today clearing out her things. Every Monday she would make brownies for her friends and he, bravely, made some and bought them in. We ate them but they got mixed up with tears so it was hard to swallow. . .
It will get better.
Post a Comment