
I was recently asked by a lovely fellow blogger where I live and so here is a picture (postcard actually) to show you. It is a very old town called Kaiserswerth. It was originally an island in the middle of the Rhein. It was also originally a monastery founded by St Suidbertus, an English Missionary who I think was part of the great St Boniface crusade to bring Christianity to the pagans living in this part of the world. St Suidbertus was given this island and founded a monastery. His remains lie within the church where I go to Mass! I shall take some pictures to show just what Kaiserswerth is like.
In the picture you can see the ruins of Barbarossa's castle. Barbarossa was a Holy Roman Emperor who built the castle. I believe he was drowned in the Holy Land while on crusade. the castle was blown up by the Spanish in the 17th century.
The Basilica of st Suidbertus is the other large building in the picture.
If you like old houses, cobbled streets, old ruined castles, beautiful churches and nature, then you would love coming to visit Kaiserswerth. Many many people come to visit and we were just told that the town council has been told that we may be included as a World Heritage site!
I love living in Kaiserswerth. I like strolling to the bakers of the shops, riding my bike along the Rhein, strolling under the Lime Trees, eating and drinking in the out door cafés. . .
Well more on my part of the world in another post.

3 comments:
Very lovely!
"If you like old houses, cobbled streets, old ruined castles, beautiful churches and nature" ---- yes, yes, yes - to all of the above. I hate all the "new cities" of the U.S. -- no charm.
It is gorgeous!!! I am soooo jealous.
Hallo Adrienne and Terry,
thanks for your comments. I am going to copy Jeffrey over at Roving Medievalist and post some pictures of Kaiserswerth during the week.
I think I was half asleep while writing that post - so many grammatical mistakes!
Post a Comment