Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Abortion issues



Today I heard a sad story about a woman who is expecting her first child.
This person told a friend of mine that she was only telling a few people about her condition because she was waiting for the first twelve weeks to pass and if by that time there was shown to be the slightest problem with the child, she was having 'it' aborted.

I didn't know what to say.

I just sat there in silence and my friend said: 'I know.' 
That was all. There was really nothing to say.
I do not know how firm the person is in her resolve to follow through with this terrible threat, but the fact that she would even give voice to such a suggestion is in itself, a dreadful thing.
To my mind this is a prime example of the rotten fruit being produced by our society now that the so called 'right' to choose holds sway. . .

I was thinking about this all day and my mind went back to a conversation that I had with someone last week who, in backing up with examples, his belief in the unsuitability of Sarah Palin to be the next Vice President of America, pointed out that she was against abortion.

Why should that be considered such a black mark against someone?

The usual questions regarding the validity of the argument in favour of the 'right' to choose need not be rehashed here.  The rights of the unborn child are never considered of course, and those who are Pro Life receive such epithet as backward, dictatorial, and a myriad of other negative labels.

The murder of the unborn is a dreadful crime.  Why do we raise our hands in horror when someone murders an infant baby but shout about the right to choose when an unborn baby is similarly murdered?

That someone could coldly consider aborting their child in the event that he or she is shown to have, in their opinion, a 'problem' and is then presumably some kind of nuisance, even when that 'problem' is merely their very existence (!) makes my heart heavy and sad.  

I am not really eloquent enough to write a perfect peace of prose on the subject.  I leave that to the likes of Terry and Philip but I just had to say my piece.

NB: The photo comes from the Stock Exchange website.

6 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

It's terribly sad to hear such a story. I consider a political figure's pro-life views a STRONG asset and by no means a handicap.

Is abortion a choice? I suppose the supporters of it could call it that. But I argue that my right to life supercedes their right to choose.

Kirk said...

Absolutely Tom.
I couldn't agree more.

Adrienne said...

You are every bit as eloquent as anyone else. Often the simple message from the heart has more impact than a bunch of 10 dollar (pound) words.

Kirk said...

thanks Adrienne,
I'm blushing!
Sometimes it's hard when you are dyslexic to get those words out right!
By the way you will notice that I am posting more regularly now. I have got that blogging car back on the road at last!

elderflower said...

All we can do is to pray that their hearts may be moved to love and cherish the precious creature in their care rather than to destroy it so cruelly.

Kirk said...

amen to that, Elderflower. Amen.