Thursday, 18 September 2008

St Joseph of Cupertino


I have four favourite male 'religious' Saints: St Nicholas Owen, St Francis of Assisi, St John of God and the subject of today's feast: St Joseph of Cupertino.
St Joseph of Cupertino.  
The man they called the 'Flying Friar' because of his levitations.
While his ability to levitate is a wondrous miracle and a special gift from God, I especially like St Joseph because of his humility - even in the face of great adversity.  
(Although I must admit that I would have liked to see him in a state of levitation - I am not sure what my reaction would be!)
He is also counted as a patron of students and as I am one myself I pray for his intercession on my behalf.
To celebrate the feast of St Joseph we are going to have a special treat for dessert this evening after dinner:  bowls of hot custard which we will eat with arrowroot biscuits.  Simple fare in honour a simple, humble saint and yet at the same time, like him, comforting and innocent. 

By the way, by 'favourite' I mean those Saints with whom I have a certain affinity with, as truth to tell I love all them!

NB: I obtained my picture from Wikimedia 

2 comments:

Rita said...

Custard will never be the same again!

Incidentally, was is a proper egg custard or some equally wonderful (but in a different way)"Birds custard"?

Kirk said...

It was the equally wonderful cheep cheep variety because it is a school night.
I'll tell you another nice way to make custard - for custard tarts if you are in a hurry. You make birds custard then add an egg and some orange juice from an orange. When you make the pastry put some orange zest in it and mind goodness you will be in custard tart heaven!