
The Oxford English Dictionary defines 'to go pear-shaped' as:
"go wrong, become disordered."
So when I write that my plans for the past week went 'pear-shaped' you will understand what I am talking about.
It all started on Thursday when I got delayed at a school meeting and didn't get to attend the St Suidbertus celebrations. I was rather upset about this but remained philosophical.
Then, while in Paris I had hoped to visit the Picpus Cemetery where many victims of the French Revolution are buried included (I think) the Carmelite nuns. I was going to pray there and possibly take a photograph for my blog. I had factored this into my 'free' time but the people I was visiting had so many things they wanted to see in our company (AGA was there too as he also knows them) that there was no time.
I felt a bit resentful about that and inside I was begrudging the time lost, but then my friends thanked us for taking time out to show them around and I realised that it was all for a greater good and there will be other times to go to Paris and do what I want, while for them it was there once in a life time trip.
But the pear shapedness of the week wasn't over. The flight back was delayed and I didn't get to bed until midnight - with school the following day.
And then to top it all the internet went down - so my blog post was delayed!
But all is well now and the one plan that did work out was that I was able to visit my favourite Parisienne Cooking Shop 'Dehillerin' which is crammed full of copper ware, pots pans, pastry trays, knives, cooking spoons, cutlery, you name it! I bought a new copper sauce pan - as in a pan for making sauces in - and a madeleine tray which I shall try out this weekend . . .
And here is a photo of said shop!
PS
I used to be able to 'justify' my posts but that button seems to have disappeared! Now it all looks rather straggly and untidy.
PPS
I got the pear photo from the site called stockxchange - a great site for free photos.

2 comments:
I misread that as "I used to justify my pots" ;-)
What a delightful looking shop, it has been a long time (20 years) since I was in Paris...sigh.
I don't think I shall ever justify my pots - they are just one big (and ever growing) happy family! :-)
I took my mother to Paris last year. It had been fifty years plus since she had been there. We were standing in the Champs Elysee. She turned around and said that it hadn't changed one bit!
I must say that I do like going to Paris...
Post a Comment