Queen Mab was the Elizabethan name for the Queen of the Fairies. Queen Mab is the person who comes at night and tangles your hair so it is all messy when you wake up!
Sometimes as children we called our Grandmother Queen Mab but I forget the reason behind it...
Anyway, it is harvest time here in Germany and so celebrate I made a 'Queen Mab's Pudding' courtesy of Countess Morphy's Desserts and Puddings Cook Book. AGA made lamb roasted with rosemary so lets just say that we have eaten our fill. . .
I don't know exactly how old this cookbook is but it does refer to placing the pudding mixture 'on the fire'.
Here are a couple of photos of said pudding that I thought I would share with you. It is not a dieter's delight as it is made with full milk, cream eggs sugar and other delectables included a whole candied clementine.
And here is the pudding - cut!

4 comments:
The pudding looks and sounds delicious, and how well it has (literally) turned out! You are beginning to influence my cooking: the chicken pie I made from your recipe was a huge success, and so were the orange-flavoured custard tarts.
Wow Elderflower does that make me famous? :-)
I am glad that you like my recipes. Cooking is, I believe a wonderful way of practicing God's Presence. We use His bounty to create things to gladden souls even if it is making a cup of tea and if we share our 'creations' with others and they like them too and gain innocent pleasure from them then we have passed on a little of God's love ourselves . . .
How come you are not as fat as a little piggy?? You must have that special gift of temperance. Just eat a small slice. I have nooooooo control. Sick, sick, sick! (me, that is)-
Actually I am the little piggy who stayed home and had roast beef.
When I was a child I often called 'grunter' by my sisters or 'Mr Collins' the greedy character in Pride and Prejudice' for eating too much! Mind you, they could talk!
I am better now but when I see custard tarts or mince pies or shortbread or cake or chicken pie or hot buttered toast or chocolates . . . I just can't help having 'one more piece'!
Post a Comment