Wednesday, 22 October 2008

The Loire Valley

It seems like an age ago but it was only a short since I was in the Loire Valley on a week's holiday.  All very nice and luxurious away from 'my' 800 odd children...
Here are some photos of the chateaux we visited:



This is Chenonceau. My favourite. With its beautiful interiors, it was owned by Catherine de Medici, one time Queen and many times Queen Mother of France. Mary Queen of Scots stayed here too while Queen of France and her guards scratched messages into the soft stone work in the chapel!



This is Ussé. A beautiful but somewhat crumbling chateau. We rated this one fairly low on the scale of great interiors mostly because of the rather tacky ex-shop window mannequins dressed up and standing all over the place. Interestingly it was here that Charles Perrault was staying while he wrote Sleeping Beauty and because of this association, Walt Disney used the chateau as a basis for the famous Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland



This is Villandry with its beautiful gardens. I took a lot of nice photos there if I do say so myself!


And finally this is Azay-le-Rideau, built by François I of France. An old fashioned chateau which appears to be in the midst of renovation although it was like that when I was last there some eleven years ago! 

I hope you like these pictures!  If you like I shall post some more later on

1 comment:

elderflower said...

Beautiful pictures, more please!