I am not a big movie fan. I find a lot of movies far too coarse and vulgar for my liking. I used to like it when I was in my late teens, reading the Vicar General’s movie reviews about what was acceptable and what was not for Catholics to watch. . .
Anyway, as I have got older the movies have become even more of a scandal. Now some, including AGA might accuse me of acting like an elderly duchess at this point but I disagree. There is far too much violence and unacceptable behaviour. . . which begets violence and unacceptable behaviour in its turn. There is very little innocence in movies these days. . .
Okay then, so what movies do I like?
Well I enjoyed watching the first Harry Potter movie, as well as the Narnia movie with my nephew. . . but as to what is on my shelf – not much. Movies - and I mean movies not mini series or BBC dramas etc – are few and far between.
Could I name ten of my favourite movies at this point of time?
Certainly! And here they are, although in no particular order:
1. The original Sabrina – Audrey Hepburn was such a beautiful woman and a lovely actress too.
2. Mrs Miniver – Mrs. Miniver is one of my favourite movie heroines.
3. The Scarlet and the Black – I like these heroic movies
4. The Margaret Rutherford Miss Marples – a comic genius
5. Miss Potter – a wonderful movie to watch.
6. Zulu – it is so much more than just a war movie.
7. Babette’s Feast – I love art house movies
8. Cold Comfort Farm – funny and timeless
9. The David Suchet Hercule Poirots – he is the best Poirot I think.
And finally
And rather apt for the month of the Rosary:
10. The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
My goodness I LOVE that movie. I could watch it over and over. I know it is somewhat dated but I get so caught up in it.
And it makes me cry – in a good way.
I cry when they are in prison and they say the Rosary with the prisoners, I cry when Lucia is being punished for supposedly making things up, I cry when the miracles take place.
And yet it makes me happy at the same time!

No comments:
Post a Comment