Monday, 22 December 2008

Christmas Markets

Because Tom (from Vegas) asked me if I would sometime post pictures from the Christmas markets here in the Dusseldorf area I have finally done so and here they are!


Angels for sale
Gluhwein anyone?
There are always plenty of food stalls
I like the deer on the roof of this stall
The famous Kathe Wohlfarht stall - seller of very nice Christmas decorations
Christmas decorations galore!
More decorations
This is a section of the market around the old town square with our famous ruler Jan Willem, on horse back above us all!  I took this photo from an upstairs shop window, just for this blog!
Another view of the town square section of the market.

The pictures are rather grey because at present it is always raining or just about to rain.

8 comments:

Ttony said...

German Christmas markets are great. The problem is that they are all over the UK like a rash and get a bit diluted: ours featured a Belorussian nun selling icons and DVDs this year.

Much more fun would be if the UK continued to have German markets, and we exported English markets to Germany. Dodgy DVDs; knocked-off designer clothing; mobile phone unlockers; smuggled booze and fags; meat from unlicensed producers; hot pork rolls without a H&S certificate. Can you imagine Germans faced with a market square full of illegal tat? The prospect is wonderful!

Kirk said...

Exceedingly wonderful!
Mind you we have our share of tat - believe me!
I am not sure how posters with profanities spread across them can be said to be part of the Christmas market.
The food however is F A B and I enjoyed a goodly sample today.

Adrienne said...

Looks like so much fun but as I am in the process of "de-cluttering" I would not be able to buy anything. But just looking makes me happy and is fun!

belinda said...

Your photos are delightful. I love to look at them.
On my Mother's side of the family they were Germans, and Irish. The family came from "Hilden" Germany. I would love to travel up the Rhine river. That would be like a dream.

Terry Nelson said...

I wish I could go to Christmas market - I love it. Kirk - I haven't gotten to your meme yet - but thanks so much for tagging me. A blessed Christmas to you.

Kirk said...

Auntie A, decluttering is so yesterday! I am definitely into cluttering - big time.
Belinda, it is beautiful I must admit. Actually we live on the banks of the Rhine and in the summer occasionally take the ferry into Dusseldorf to do our shopping!
Thanks Terry and a very blessed and Merry Christmas to you too!

elderflower said...

Lovely pictures, and nice to see Jan Wellem again! Have a very happy and blessed Christmas.

Tom in Vegas said...

What a lovely Christmas vista!! I wish I could have been there with you, my friend. I would have loved to have spent a full day taking in all the imagery and, yes, buying LOTS and LOTS of stuff. LOL. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Merry Christmas and God bless you.