Sunday, 21 December 2008

Wow!


I have just returned from a spectacular choral concert given at the St. Suidbertus Basilica here in Kaiserswerth. The Basilica is not a huge building but it was packed. I estimate about 400 were there, of all ages. AGA and I were lucky to find seats!
The concert was performed by the Basilika-Chor St. Suitbertus – this is the parish choir and very good they are too. Two of their number work at the our small supermarket.
There was a lead Soprano as well who was not all that good although I certainly could not do better.
And finally some pieces were performed by the Choralschola St. Suidbertus – this is an all male choir of about 10 parishioners. They perform Gregorian Chant at Mass and are absolutely fab!

Now to the music, which was being performed in honour of MarianSontag (Mary’s Sunday) which we celebrate today in honour of the Blessed Mother.
And what music is was!!!
J.S.Bach: “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme”
(Sleepers Awake. Lovely as always)
The Introitus for the 4th Sunday of advent: “Rorate caeli desuper”
(Sung by the Choralschola – it took the breath away!)
Carl Orff: “Tauet, ihr Himmel, fern aus den Hoehen”
(Not being an Orff fan I found this to be turgid. I ma having difficulty translating this one too)
Luis de Vittoria: “Ave Maria”
(I am a major follower of Vittoria – when I saw this was on the programme I was very exited and the performance was exellent!)
Moritz Hauptmann: “Macht hoch die Tuer”
(Make high the door. 19th Century.  Not bad)
Hugh Keyte: “Maria durch ein Dornwald ging”
(Mary by a thorn forest went. A modern-ish piece. Quite nice in a Vicar of Dibbly sort of way)
Jan Kampanus Vodnansky: “O Heiland, reiss die Himmel auf”
(Lovely)
Offertory for the 4th Sunday of Advent: “Ave Maria, gratia plena”
(Wonderful)
Marian Antiphon: :Alma Redemptoris Mater”
(Spectacular)
J.S.Bach: “Mein Glaubiges Herze, frohlocke”
(I think is ‘my heart is glad’ or something like that anyway. It was sung by the Soprano, from the organ loft.
Giovanni Battista Bononcini: “Divertimento No 7”
(Very nice organ piece)
Friedrich von Spee: “Von Kindlein Frisch geboren”
(A Child, flax fresh was born. Such a lovely title. It wouldn’t be a concert without something from our local lad. Beautiful as is all of his work.)
Michael Praetorius: :Es ist ein Ros’ entsrpungen”
(‘We know this as Lo, how a Rose ere blooming’, I like this a lot in English. In German it is just as nice.)
Anonymous: “Jauchzet, ihr Himmel”
(Praise, Heaven. A lovely 17th century piece)
J.S.Bach: “Ehre und Preis sei Gott, dem Herren”
(Honour and Praise to You O God. Only three Bach pieces! I liked this a lot.
Hans Leo Hassler: “Verbum caro factum est”
Then we finished up with everyone singing another, very rousing version of the great Advent hymn “Macht hoch die Tuer”, after which we all wandered off home!

4 comments:

PJA said...

a magnificent programme! Was it the Vittoria "Ave Maria" for double choir?

Kirk said...

It was!
And all a mere five minute walk from the apartment!

Adrienne said...

You are so lucky. We were going to go to a choral presentation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Spokane, but Elle was so sick we couldn't leave her.

Maybe next year....

This year we'll be lucky to get to Mass on Christmas Eve (or Christmas Day.) We're expecting another 8 - 12" of snow on Christmas Eve.

Kirk said...

My mother went to a Nativity play on Sunday which she thought was beautiful. They had animals taking part and her friends thought it rather funny that the black sheep was named Barbara (that is Mum's name)