Saturday, 17 May 2008

Cooking with Lucia


It was hard to sleep last night - my mind was filled with thoughts of riding the new bicycle around the village and perhaps into the countryside.
Alas: rain.  Rain and more rain.
No bike riding so instead I did some cooking.
I love to cook.
In particular I love to bake cakes.
Big, small, medium, in a loaf tine, in a pattie pan, in a muffin pan, in a 6, 8 or whatever inch tin, double-decker filled with raspberries and cream, plain Madeira, Nigel Slater's fab Marmalade cake.  It doesn't matter so long as it is baked correctly.
I love baking cakes - and eating them afterwards.
So what has this got to do with Lucia Popp?
Well when I cook I cook to music and I created a special cooking CD for myself.  Along with a rousing rendition of Rule Britannia (the full one not the cut down version), various Rameau Harpsichord pieces and the Westminster Choir singing Jubilate Deo, I have Lucia Popp singing Mozart's Laudate Dominum and Exultate Jubilate.  In the kitchen, with the door closed, I can sing and cook to my heart's content!
I am sorry to all those Emma Kirkby fans but I do think that in the rendition of those two works, Lucia Popp has the edge.  I would link you to a couple of versions posted on You Tube but I don't know how to do that yet. . . 
What a sad day it was when Lucia died, at the summit of her career. . .

*I got the picture of Lucia Popp from the Princeton University Radio site: www.cd.princeton.edu/=san/tv.html/

No comments: