Today is the Feast of Corpus Christi and here in Germany it is a public holiday.
I went to Mass at 9am and my goodness what a beautiful experience it was.
What a Holy exaltation of the Most Blessed Sacrament!
Our Church is a basilica dedicated to St Suidbertus and today the interior looked wonderful. The altar was lit by large candles and the air was heavy with the smell of incense. There were four priests, thirty four altar servers (I counted them), members of the St Sebastien Brotherhood in their black silk top hats and carrying the banners of their order. Members of the St Peter's Brotherhood were also there similarly dressed while the (I think) St Suidbertus group, were dressed in their green hussar uniforms and carrying banners with St Suidbertus on them.
Holy Mass began and, joined by the choir and the thumpingly good organ, we sang and prayed and celebrated this wonderful feast.
At the conclusion, four men dressed in black and wearing what looked like hunting caps came and stood in the aisle facing the altar, in front of them came some of the altar servers, carrying the processional cross, they then turned and moved down to the back of the church. As they did so we left our pews and fell in behind them, followed by the rest of the altar servers carrying bells and candles, the priests, then four men carrying a baldequin under which processed a priest carrying the Blessed Sacrament within an ornate wooden monstrance. Behind him were the members of the brotherhoods who had been standing at the very back of the altar while Holy Mass was offered.
The back doors (which used to be the main front doors until serious damage suffered in WWII) were opened and we processed outside into the courtyard. Once we were all outside the priest gave the order and we processed out and down to the Rhine. We moved passed the old castle, along the avenue and out into the fields. Singing hymns and chanting decades of the rosary as we went.
Horses along the way came galloping across the meadow towards the fences, and then stood as if anxious to see the Blessed Sacrament pass by!
Soon we re entered the town which was decorated with papal flags and banners with religious symbols, all the while singing and praising God.
Soon we entered the school grounds and here we stopped at the outdoor wooden chapel. Benediction was given and then we were off again, procession through the town, past the little supermarket, the antique shop, the shoe shop, past our own apartment, down the high street where all the nice cafés are, and through the old alley ways, past the old almshouses, until we were back in front of the church for a final blessing. The bells of the church peeled forth in joy and slowly I made my way back home.
Three hours had passed but it felt like no time at all.
Why cannot our own bishops in England, Wales, the US, Australia etc see that it is in keeping the old celebrations in full, on the correct days, with due ceremony, that we the people, gain so much spiritual nourishment?

11 comments:
I am soooooo jealous. Our church lacks any sort of ritual. Our pastor just doesn't get into all that. Such a loss for the young people (and us oldsters, too)
Ok - off topic. I'm confused. Why are you in Germany? (I loved the pictures you posted from around where you live - so pretty.)
.....and how come AGA is spelled with all big letters? Enquiring minds need to know these things.
AGA are the intials of my very best friend who I live with here in Germany. We have known each other for many years and we both took up jobs at the same school in Germany which is where we now live and work. AGA is from Australia and that is where we met as I went to live in Melbourne with my family when I was at school. I alternated between England and Australia for many years.
AGA is not in to blogging at all hence he is only referred to as intials. Yes you are right, it is a very pretty part of the world in which we live and I like to decorate my blog with photos I take.
Thanks. What's funny is there is a famous stove called AGA, so I thought maybe you had an un-natural relationship with your cooker:) Only kiiiiiiding!
I will be patient now and just let your story unfold without outside pressure.
My great grandmother had an AGA - in fact most people in my family had an AGA -except us. Actually when I first typed the word I thought Aga Khan and then I thought 'how appropriate!' as AGA likes luxury...
You can ask any question you like Adrienne! after all, we are blog buddies now
Just want to encourage you! A lovely start on the blog...keep it up.
Say a Hail Mary for me, will you? Just only one!
Greetings on the 2nd Sunday after Pentecost:
I recently saw your blog listed as newly added to St. Blog's Parish Directory. I wish to welcome you!
Pax Tecum.
Thank you Jeff,
it is nice to get encouragement - especially when you are new to blogging and you feel a little self conscious about sending things into the wide world for everyone to gaze at. I like your blog so much I am going to link to it!
Greetings to you too Matthew and thank you for your welcome.
I must admit that I am rather enjoying blogging.
Now I am going to go and have a look at your site!
I've followed you back from a comment and want to say "Welcome!" as well, and particular thanks for this item on your Corpus Christi procession.
You might want to point out to Adrienne that you cook in degrees C and not F, though.
Enjoy blogging!
Thanks ttony.
I have been writing my blog for nearly one month now and I am rather enjoying it!
Hmmm C and not F - good point!
Post a Comment