Fr Werenfried van Staaten
Why?
My goodness you could write a very long book on the reasons why I admire and love this very holy man.
Some are:
For convincing the Belgian and Dutch housewives and farmers to send food to a beaten and battered people who now found themselves without food and clothing but who until very recently had been their foes: the Germans.
For all the wonderful work he has fostered throughout the world to help in the building up of the Church: from helping to build churches, provide transport for priests, training for religious, missions, looking after poor seminarians . . .
For the great foundation that is his memorial: Aid to the Church in Need.
For his bridging the gap between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches in newly freed Eastern Europe.
For his kindness, his prayers, his generosity, and his humility.
The list goes on . . .
(I don't have a photo yet but when I find one I shall be putting it here.)

No comments:
Post a Comment