To mind mind this is a most inspirational representation of the Crucifixion.
It was painted by the great Spanish painter, Diego Velazquez de Silva (1599-1660), and is to be found in the Prado Museum, Madrid.
This painting says a great deal to me. It attracted me from the moment I first saw it and so I bought it in postcard form.
It sounds rather trite to call it my 'favourite' painting of the Crucifixion. 'Powerful' would probably be a more apt descriptive word to use.
Anyway, I feel very drawn to it and so I thought I would share it with you. . .

5 comments:
This is indeed a beautiful image.
PRAYER TO JESUS CRUCIFIED
Here I am, good and gentle Jesus, kneeling before you. With great fervor I pray and ask you to instill in me genuine convictions of faith, hope and love, with true sorrow for my sins and a firm resolve to amend them. While I contemplate your five wounds with great love and compassion, I remember the words which the prophet David long ago put on your lips: "They have pierced my hands and my feet, I can count all my bones." (Psalm 22/17-18).
Above prayer: Indulgence of 10 years if recited before an image of Christ crucified. Plenary indulgence if recited daily under usual conditions.
thank you Michael. I am glad you also like this image - and thank you for the prayer as well.
I guess you are on summer holidays at present?
Yes, I am on summer holidays until approx. August 25. I am enjoying the beautiful weather!
Lucky you!
My summer holidays start on 20th of June until 8th of August and I can not wait!
Yikes!
Matthew I just realised that in my reply to your first comment I called you Michael. . .
I have no idea why I did at but I do apologise for this.
Post a Comment