Friday, 16 May 2008

Mobile

Here in Germany we have no car.
I sold mine and AGA doesn't have a licence anyway.  We have been relying on foot-power and the extremely good tram and bus system we have here, but the urge for something a little more independent was strong.
We did have bikes up until last year but mine began to break down and AGA had his torched (I kid you not) by some 'little urchins' during the New Year fire works display (this was after someone kicked his back wheel in).  Mind you, he would insist on keeping it outside instead of storing it on the balcony (like I did) and so, as AA Milne was once moved to write: 
"well what can any one do?"

But now we are mobile once again with new bikes.  And these are special.  They are klapp fahrrads - fold up bikes - not as expensive as the custom built Bromptons you sometimes see being carried about jauntily by their owners, but just as nice.  
Seeing that they were on sale in the next town we caught the bus after work and bought them. They came in huge, cumbersome cardboard boxes but somehow we managed to get them to the bus stop.  Arriving back in our own town we then lugged them back from the bus stop, up the hill to our apartment until I thought my arm would fall off.  At one point I did toy with the idea of taking the bike out of the box and leaving it (the box, not the bike) for the rubbish men but a dog, taking on the role of my conscience, barked at me in a meaningful way and I realised the error of my way and persevered in lugging.  Now however, in the comfort of home and looking at them all shiny and newly assembled I must say they look great.
No more slogging it by foot to work from now on.  
No more being passed by work colleagues and school children who shout out hallo before zooming off into the distance on their own fancy bikes.
It is back to wonderful pedal power for us and so we will ride our bikes wheresoever the wind takes us and then fold them up and bring them into the apartment at the end of the trip.

No comments: